While Democrats have blasted the GOP for wasting time on a politically-motivated "witch hunt," the Panel uncovered plenty of dark and dubious dealings between the abortion industry and fetal tissue collectors. "The Select Investigative Panel on Infant Lives succeeded in uncovering shameful practices, which undermined the very foundations of ethical American scientific research and have led to 15 criminal and regulatory referrals. Over the course of its year-long investigation of fetal tissue procurement companies and abortion businesses, the Select Panel found evidence that several tissue procurement companies and abortion clinics may have violated federal felony laws prohibiting the sale of human fetal tissue. As a physician and researcher, it is my sincere hope that our investigation and the subsequent referrals have put an end to these shady and unethical practices," said Congressman (and doctor) Andy Harris (R-MD). Among other things, the group suggests that Congress:
- Pull the plug on taxpayer funding of Planned Parenthood until they stop performing abortions;
- Give states some flexibility under Medicaid to redirect funds away from Planned Parenthood;
- Ban funding of fetal tissue research from induced abortions;
- Pass criminal penalties for any violations of Born Alive Infant Protection Act;
- Pass a ban on abortion after the 20th week of pregnancy, when babies feel pain;
- Create a criminal division at DOJ to enforce Partial Birth Abortion and Born Alive infant protections;
- Ensure that HIPPA informed consent laws are enforced against abortionists;
- Prohibit funding for research using fetal tissue from induced abortions (but allow on fetal tissue from miscarriages or stillbirths).
Tags: Congressional Report, Retort, Planned Parenhood, FRC Update To share or post to your site, click on "Post Link". Please mention / link to the Greater Fitchburg For Life. Thanks!